Several artists in the Fine Art Collection of the Albright-Knox Art Gallery served in the Monuments, Fine Arts, and Archives Section (MFAA) of the United States Armed Forces. Often referred to as the Monuments Men, this group of men and women from several nations contributed their expertise as museum directors, curators, art scholars and educators, artists, architects, and archivists to the fight for humanity. These three men included Louis Dlugosz (American, 1915–2002), William Gear (British, 1915–1997), and Salvatore C. Scarpitta, Jr. (American, 1919–2007). Learn More
The Albright-Knox Art Gallery’s Buffalo’s Monument Men exhibition (on view through April 6, 2014) celebrates three of our past employees—Andrew C. Ritchie, Charles P. Parkhurst, and Patrick J. Kelleher—who helped recover and return art that had been stolen by the Nazis during World War II.
Newspaper clippings—preserved in scrapbooks in the collection of the museum’s G. Robert Strauss, Jr. Memorial Library—show that the museum also helped fight the war on the “home front” through a series of lectures, initiatives, events and exhibitions designed to educate and entertain Buffalo’s citizenry.
In May 1942, the Albright-Knox was the first US museum to adopt a special war-time schedule. The museum stayed open late to provide much-needed relaxation to Buffalonians who faced food and gas rationing, the labor demands of homeland production, and the general stress of war.